Friday, September 28, 2007

Just an example


Turn my eyes away from worthless things;
preserve my life according to your word. (NIV, NIVUK and TNIV)

Turn my eyes from worthless things,
and give me life through your word. (NLT)

Keep me from looking at worthless things.
Let me live by your word. (NCV)

Turn my eyes away from things that are worthless.
Keep me alive as you have promised. (NIrV)

Turn away my eyes from looking at worthless things,
And revive me in Your way. (NKJV)

Turn my eyes from looking at worthless things;
and give me life in your ways. (ESV)

Turn my eyes away from things that have no worth,
and give me new life because of Your ways. (NLV)

Turn my eyes from looking at what is worthless;
give me life in Your ways. (HCSB)

Divert my eyes from toys and trinkets,
invigorate me on the pilgrim way. (MSG)

Turn away my eyes from looking at vanity,
And revive me in Your ways. (NASB)

Turn away my eyes from beholding vanity (idols and idolatry);
and restore me to vigorous life and health in Your ways. (AMP)

Turn away mine eyes from beholding vanity;
and quicken thou me in thy way. (KJV)

turn away mine eyes from beholding vanity,
and quicken Thou me in Thy way. (KJ21)

Turn away mine eyes from beholding vanity,
And quicken me in thy ways. (ASV)

Remove mine eyes from seeing vanity,
In Thy way quicken Thou me. (YLT)

Turn away mine eyes from beholding vanity;
quicken me in thy way. (Darby)

Take away my foolish desires,
and let me find life by walking with you. (CEV)


This verse, Psalm 119:37, is a powerful verse. If you only look at one translation only, like KJV, you are missing out A LOT, seriously. KJV says "... quicken thou me in thy way." But other translations say "preserve my life", "give me life", "give me new life" (WOW!), "let me live", "let me find life", "keep me alive", "revive me" (WOW!), "invigorate me" (WOW!), "restore me to vigorous life and health" (double WOW!!!). If you had stopped at "... quicken thou me in thy way.", do you get anything??? Learn anything??? Quicken me??? Errr... quicken what? But look at the BIG picture you get from that same verse, from ALL the other translations... Powerful huh? This is what I call the power of unity. And two translations amuses me. The Message says "... toys and trinkets" and Contemporary English Version says "... my foolish desires". They are a bit out, as compared to the other translations, but think about it... toys and trinkets are worthless things, same as foolish desires. So, although the choice of words are totally different, but the context, or the meaning is the same... heh heh heh... Trinkets... funny lar...

So why, oh why want to get into arguments and make accusations of other translations? Jangan macam katak di bawah tempurung. Our God is definitely not a tempurung God. Have a good weekend friends! And enjoy His Word and His presence!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home